Really ought to shut this blog down, but hope springs eternal I'll come here with words of wisdom for the Still-Fairly-Young Prince when he's older -- or at least a road map for his future therapist. Meh.
And now, the annual survey—seven months late (with a goal of updating this properly in December with developments of 2018, of which there were several):
1. What did you do this year that you'd never done before?
Watched the YP get excited about nature during a bison "stampede." Lived through a home remodel.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I made none, and have done a bang-up job of not keeping them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Acquaintance, but nobody close.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
This one, as usual.
6. What would you like to have in the new year that you lacked this year?
A remodeled upstairs to match the beautiful downstairs -- not gonna happen, though.
7. What date from the year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
None, as usual.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
All kinds of home improvement, getting to Yellowstone.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The kitchen. The living room. The giant TV.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The YP surviving his first semester of high school, and playing drums in community band and school band.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much every public figure out there, and a good many private citizens who act like public figures on social media.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Remodeling, remodeling, and travel.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Remodeling and travel.
16. What song will always remind you of this year?
Brandy, a la Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Same.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer, but with nicer stuff.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How (did) you spend Christmas?
Parents came to visit in early December, then it was just us at home for the holiday. Very nice.
21. Did you fall in love?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I literally don't hate anyone. I lack the energy.
24. What was the best book you read?
I can't even remember reading a book, although I'm sure I did.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I wouldn't say I had one.
26. What did you want and get?
I got pretty much everything I wanted. Spoiled princess over here!
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 46. I have no idea what we did, but I'm sure it was lovely.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Immeasurable wealth and what I could do with it.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
31. What kept you sane?
NYAB. Sleep. Same as always.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The fact that everyone was all stirred up made me ill. I am tired of people being stirred up.
33. Who did you miss?
Still my grandparents.
34. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't think I met anyone new.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned:
More like a lesson I relearned: Sometimes you are much better off not getting the thing you think you want.
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Same as last year: It can't get much better than this.